- BBN has recruited an accountant who took office in October 2014.
- 2015: TMEA signed a MOU with BBN to provide laboratory equipment, chemicals, computer equipment and funds for the renovation of laboratories
LA MISSION ET LA VISION DU BBN
The functions of the Burundi Bureau of Standards are to:
- Develop and publish national standards in accordance with internationally recognized procedures and promote their use in trade, industry and in technical regulations established by other authorities;
- Realize, establish and maintain the national measurement standards at accuracy levels appropriate to the needs of the country and to cause the diffusion of their values into trade, industry and civil society through the national calibration system
- Establish, implement and maintain legal metrology standards for measuring equipment to ensure the correctness of measurements in trade, law enforcement and health systems;
- Establish and maintain conformity assessment services, i.e. testing, inspection and certification services, that are demonstrably competent so as to ensure their maximum acceptance by economic operators and the authorities;
- Assist the Government in defining, devising and implementing standardization and quality policies and strategies and determining priorities in this regard
- Ensure the capturing, maintenance and dissemination of information related to the broader field of standardization and the WTO Agreements;
- Provide training in matters related to standardization, metrology, conformity assessment and environment;
- Take part on demand in public tender procedures and provide inspection, testing and certification services to Government for goods purchased by them;
- Establish and maintain market surveillance, import inspection and industry inspection systems for products falling within the scope of compulsory standards;
- Establishing relations with and representing the Republic of Burundi in regional and international organizations with objects and functions similar to those of the Bureau as provided in this Law;
- Establish and implement any other function allocated to the Bureau by the Minister that is not inconsistent with the objects and requirements of this Law.
BBN's Vision for the next decade:
BBN Management vision for the future as the national standards body of Burundi includes a number of core elements, namely :
- Recognition by our peers in the EAC as an equal partner;
- The first point of call of the authorities and the private sector for any standards development or related standards information;
- The conformity assessment service provider of choice for the authorities, producers and industry;
- The service provider on recognized legal and industrial metrology matter
- To build laboratories and the participation to the inter-comparison at regional and international level;
- Increase the visibility of BBN through awareness campaigns;
- To be strong leadership.